The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Color-changing Roses

I noticed that the early colors of a rose aren't necessarily the final color. Pat Austin had more yellow tinges in its earlier bud form but now the peachy color is spreading more evenly across the petals. Still, when the sun heated up the afternoon, Pat Austin had a distinct pink blush on the inside tips of the petals.

My Pat Austin isn't anywhere near as bright copper as other photos I've seen. I wonder if the soil has something to do with that. I think the color of my Pat Austin is prettier than the "copper" color advertised. Perhaps it has to do with how old the rose is, with the color getting brighter in later seasons.

The Fair Bianca rose buds have a streak of red down the side, the same red streak the new Pat Austin buds have. But the Fair Bianca roses are white so the red streak is a real mystery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter