The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Gravel and Cascadia Petunias

Because of the inclement weather, all we got done today was shoveling about five inches of 5/7 stone in the bottom of each rose bush pit. I decided to make raised beds for 3 of the roses in the backyard because the drainage is so poor. But we already had one hole dug in the middle of the backyard so we threw gravel in it anyway. By the time I build a raised bed over that hole, the rose will be able to sink its roots 4 feet deep if it wants.

The other day I put a lot of Springhill Gardens plants in my shopping cart. There were about 150 flowers, shrubs and greens in all. Then I thought I better call my mom and ask if Springhill is a good company before I submitted my order.

"Dear, dear," she said without even telling me whether Springhill was a good company or not. "Where are you going to put all those plants?" she asked.
I told her my plan. "I'm putting them along the back of the property as a distraction to the deer so they'll leave my roses alone."

After my mom finished laughing hysterically, she said "Why not just buy lettuce? It's a LOT cheaper!"
"Oh! I never thought of that," I said, whereupon she laughed some more.
"J, I hate to tell you this and you're such a sweetheart but the deer will just munch all the lettuce one night and go for your roses the next night."

Hmmph.

I ended up ordering from Springhill afterall. My mom says Springhill is the only company she can find that sells Cascadia Petunias. I'm planning on making some boxes for my deck rail like my mom's. Those gorgeous petunias look like a white waterfall spilling over the railing. Truly remarkable. I also got some miniature roses to go in the boxes with the Cascadia. I'm not sure miniature roses are the best thing but it's too late now. I vaguely recall reading that roses don't like sharing root space with other plants. They better NOT argue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter