The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Mountain O' Bags

That's what's in the backyard. Husband arrived home from work this evening with his pickup full and asked "Where do you want them all?" I had to decide where I wanted 10 50-lb bags of Composted Black Cow Manure, 10 40-lb bags of Top Soil and 4 3.8 cubic feet bags of Peat Moss. I had not considered where to mix the mass so we piled all the bags in the middle of the back yard. I suppose we'll mix the stuff together and cart it around the property to dump in all the rose pits we dug. Any remaining stuff can just stay put in the middle of the back yard and I'll call that my "raised bed".

I was worried about my roses today, wondering if they had turned into a slimey, limp mass in their mud soup. But no, they looked just great. And a couple have these teeny green bud-looking things along their stems. I was SO relieved that they weren't dead! Tomorrow I'll take a couple pics of the rose pits outside. I need to remember what this place looks like now so I'll enjoy the roses all the more in the future.

I don't know how we're going to mix the giant mountain of soil, peat moss and manure. Too bad Kitchen Aid doesn't make giant mixers. Yeah, I can see it now. My five sons and husband would be beside themselves with glee over such a monstrous, motorized contraption. "Bring 'er on back a couple more feet" I would yell to the flatbed truck backing the Soil Mixer Master toward my little mountain. "Ok, lower her down!" a son would yell to the crane operator. And then finally, the magic words "Let 'er rip!" Where upon the giant mixer, looking like a mutant egg beater/oil rig would begin to churn its way through my little mountain. Ah yes, I can dream.

Better get more gloves so we won't get blisters using the pitch forks tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter