The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Those Scheming Deer

I had not seen any deer for a couple weeks until last night. My mom says those nasty creatures often wait till veggies, fruit or flowers are nearing their juiciest stage and then... CHOMP! Off with their heads!

I took a photo of the deer in our yard last night. Just look at that insolent expression! Check out those beady eyes! By the time I took this shot, the deer was already done with Rose Recon. No doubt he was scoping out the territory and planning his next Munch Menu.

Hmmph.

I checked the other roses around the yard and some have a couple leaves stripped from the branches. Just like a kid who takes one bite out of each cookie to leave a clear message... This one is mine!... that deer is marking my roses. Grrr.

After the deer left, I took a photo of my precious Blush Noisette for posterity's sake. It's the rose with over 100 buds, the one where my Prince Charming is supposed to stand to serenade me. Just look at that defenseless plant! So pure, so innocent. The buds deserve a chance to bloom. They must live! Yesterday I posted a view of this rose from the deck. But this photo is a deer's eye view... Such tenderness... Such succulence... Such mouth-watering juiciness... Ah the irresistible crunch between the teeth...

Oooo, I'll be steaming mad if the roses get chomped! To quote my dad, "The deer love anything that costs money." I'll have to look closely at the photo of the deer and see if there are $ signs in its eyes.

If deer are so smart, we should use them for experiments instead of using lab rats. I'd like to see a bunch of deer in a maze alright. Put up a couple signs that say "Expensive roses THIS way" and I'll bet those deer would figure their way through the maze right quick. I'd add a couple electrified gates here and there though. For scientific purposes, of course.

Last night at 11:30 pm, I walked down in the moonlight to see if the Blush Noisette was still there. It was. So I spread some of the hair from my hairbrush over top of the buds. It was a desperate move but I was desperate to help that rose live. This morning I checked the rose and it was still intact. One night down, about 147 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter