The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Zepherine Drouhin bloomed!




It's gorgeous! There are two blossoms on the Zepherine Drouhin and here's a photo of one before I cut it. I discovered a deer ate every single bud from the Scepter'd Isle by the mailbox ( I won't even comment on that) so I didn't want to lose this blossom.




I cut the lone blossom from the Scepter'd Isle by the mailbox too and stuck it in a little glass cordial along with the Zepherine Drouhin. It's possible that deer only like buds because I noticed that none of the roses in bloom are missing, only buds. Tonight I'll put some hair over the James Galway buds. That seemed to work with Blush Noisette. I'll be sick if the deer eats the James Galway buds, especially since I've never seen them in bloom yet and they're so close to showing.


This last photo is a closeup of the Zepherine Drouhin and Scepter'd Isle roses. I shot it in my kitchen window late this afternoon during a thunderstorm. The backlighting was provided by God via lightning and bright, torrential rain. I can't figure out how to get a bigger photo to post in this blog but if you click on the photo, you'll see a larger version. I'd love to do a stained glass window inspired by roses. I set an even larger version of this photo as my desktop and it looks dreamy, almost surreal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter