The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Scepter'd Isle, Rose Therapy AND the Stone Wall is Finished!

Beauty. Sheer beauty.
The Scepter'd Isle rose bloomed today. The petals look like fragile shells of pink porcelain. Click on the photo to see a larger image of this beauty.

I kept staring at the rose, wondering how a living plant in this world of unrest, error and decay could be so perfect. We had accidentally overdosed this plant with soap when it had aphids so I expected the first blooms to be damaged. Much to my surprise and delight, the first layer of browned petals peeled open to display the most flawless rose I've ever seen.

The Scepter'd Isle is the fourth rose to boom out of eleven different kinds we planted this year. I hope the remaining seven take their time to blossom. I will mourn greatly when the last bud of the season blooms so I hope they hold on all the way till the first frost. In the meantime, I am becoming completely and totally addicted to growing roses. How many roses can fit in one acre? I'm going to find out.

I'm already planning next year's rose order. Pat Austin surprised me with being the first rose to bloom and my favorite so far. It is so bright and gorgeous that I just have to plant a bunch next year, with some in the front yard. That stunning, blushed copper rose will be seen all the way to the road for sure. Splendid!

Here's a pic of the latest Pat Austin blossom. It is more orange than the first couple blossoms, with a more pronounced yellow on the backs of the petals.

In order to plan next year's rose placement, I have to figure out the sunniest spots. Our property has trees all over it so I'm going to draw a detailed sketch and then chart the sun's movement on it over the next couple months. That will determine where the roses go. Hmm... well... that's an excessive amount of work. Um, bordering on insane. How will I explain to the Chief what I've done all day?

"Honey I'm home. What did you do all day, dear?" the Chief Wallet of the Rose Support Team asks.
"Well, for starters," I say, "let me show you this graph. If you look closely at the numbers, you'll see that the proportion of roses is directly related to your wife's happiness. Oh yes, and please note the cost effectiveness of Rose Therapy on this spreadsheet I've prepared..." Rose Therapy: The use of Roses in restoring well-being and sound mind. Cost: Inconsequential. Location: Outside. Value: Priceless.

In order to figure out the sunniest spots for next year's roses, I'll have to stay outside a lot. Which means I need a laptop so I can continue my work outside. Yes! I've been wanting a laptop for ages. I'll work the laptop expense into the Rose Therapy Budget.

Today we put in a dedicated effort and managed to finish building the stone wall. Yay! The Rose Support Team did a magnificent job. Such expertise! Such sweat! Such muscle! The wall looks great and I'm thrilled that we got it done.

The Rose Support Team also moved the unsightly black ash heap in the middle of the back yard. The Chief affectionately called it "The Burn Pile," because that's where he burned all the raked leaves and pine needles from the yard and dumped the wood stove ashes. I called it the "Why do Guys always have to make such DANGEROUS, HUMONGOUS BONFIRES" pile, with no affection whatsoever. I have commandeered the back yard and have officially declared the Burn Pile CLOSED forever. We moved the remaining black stuff to another area of the yard which I have renamed "The Compost Pile." heh heh. The guys simply have to figure out another way to get their semi-annual Fire Fix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter