The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The restorative power of flowers

It wasn't just the flu, it was strep throat too. Bummer. And a wicked cough with 70% hearing loss. And NO ac to boot with humidity high enough to rain in the house. So I was drooping at the dining room table nearly overwhelmed with morbid self pity when my eye caught a flash of brilliant fushia orchid. No I didn't grow them. They were a gift to myself on June 16 two weeks after my husband had forgotten our anniversary.

There I was, head on the table, feeling low when a little thought came along... how can you feel sorry for yourself when you have a vase of orchids on your table? Look at them! They are amazing! Look outside at your deck, all covered with flowers. You are fortunate indeed.

My pity left right then. I kicked it out and I didn't let it come back. Indeed, how can one focus on anything dismal when there is so much beauty just waiting to take center stage? See here, orchids! Look there, petunias! Everywhere are green trees and grass and roses.

The orchids are now 2 weeks old and they look just as gorgeous today as the day they arrived. My strep throat is almost gone, my hearing is returning and we got the new heat pump fired up today for the first time so we're chillin' nicely. I can't wait to do more gardening again. The orchids and roses showed me Life Is Good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter