The Rose Adventure

or What happens when a non-gardener impulsively buys 15 David Austin, bare root, English rose bushes.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Cucumber-on-a-Rope

That's what we are officially growing now.
I was running around getting ready for the wedding and forgot to water the plants two 100 degree+ days last week. Alas, the cucumbers gave up the ghost. But we've got the coolest Cucumbers-on-a-Rope now! I can see it now, fruit and veggie-shaped soap on a rope, a hot item sold by Bath & Body... Just remember that I had the first idea for this.




"WHAT are those mangy looking vines on the picnic table?"

la la la ...where seldom is heard, a discouraging word... la la la...








At least I got to be an Egyptian Princess today. I sat in queenly pose on my deck throne while Pat Austin slowly fanned me with 5 magnificent blooms. Sheer bliss.




Well, I suppose I should prune the Pat Austin rose back a bit so it's not so far above eye level. Then again, since the Pat Austin roses tend to nod, they look pretty good up high.





The Scepter'd Isle is having a severe case of
Jack-in-the-Beanstalk-Wannabe. sigh. All it wants to do is climb, climb, climb. The height of one cane is downright frightening. I'm going to need a ladder soon to trim the top off. I keep hoping for blooms but if they grow at sky-scraper height we won't see them anyway. I'll have to say to my guests "Please come see my beautiful pink Scepter'd Isle roses" as I hand them a pair of binoculars.

The wedding is just 8 days away! I'm frustrated over all that has to be done yet. Instead of making the front garden nice, I'm having to invest time & money in stuff like curtains, carpet cleaning and decluttering. Still To Do is make 300 more icing flowers for the wedding cake, sew Austrian crystals on the bride's reception dress, sew ribbons on the bride's shoes, scrub and wax the kitchen/dining room floor, decorate the entire house, learn how to make a bridal bouquet, boutonnieres and six large table arrangements and finish the patio. sigh.
I suppose the patio will have to wait. sigh.


I keep talking to the geraniums, petunias and roses that they better put out some serious performance for the wedding guests! The petunias got drastically pruned about 11 days ago but they're still not looking very promising. I trimmed at least 18" from them, which created a pile of clippings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Web Site Counter